By Antonio G. Papa, Ph.D.
Proper knowledge of something, of what we are going to do, if something went wrong unexpectedly, really helps us ease out the problem.
Presently, there is a catastrophic prediction that a big disaster is going to happen sooner or later. The magnitude of the tragedy, if it happens, is too huge so that the authorities called it “The Big One.”
The world is experiencing series of earthquakes and aftershocks daily with an optimum to a maximum intensity of 7.0 magnitude.
The Big One
The Philippines is included among the countries engulfed by the Pacific Ring of Fire. In fact, the country is almost at the epicenter, and this phenomenon could eventually occur.
For example, a strong earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 is estimated to damage large properties, and around 34,000 people will be severely affected in Metro Manila.
This is the reason why the national government and local government units are preparing intensively for this. Likewise, all government agencies and private entities, including educational institutions, are conducting drills to minimize damage both to people’s lives and properties.
All sectors are educating their respective constituents through various seminars and training programs to prepare them for The Big One.
What should be done?
The following tips are very important:
- If a strong earthquake strikes and you happen to be inside a building, remember to do the “duck, cover and hold;” stay away from objects that might fall; then quickly leave the area after the quake and head straight to the nearest evacuation area.
- Stay away from trees, buildings, and electrical posts and head on to an open area. Also, ensure that the injured, elderly, children, expectant mothers, and persons with disability will be prioritized.
- Before an impending tsunami hits a particular region, especially the coastal areas, make sure that you are aware of the evacuation plan in your community, participate in drills, and designate a meeting point of the family or neighborhood.
- After the disaster, leave the evacuation area only if you are told to do so, check if someone is missing, and bring the injured to the nearest medical facility.
If people are serious in preparing to mitigate the effects of The Big One, they must also be very serious in preparing for the “Real Big One.”
The Real Big One, a phenomenon, whose magnitude and severity is global and celestial, hence, all men are succumbed to its magnanimous effects.
What is this phenomenon called the Real Big One? Is it biblical? Yes, as anticipated. Once it happens, it is already the end of the Earth.
God’s stern warning
The Real Big One is the prophesized Second Advent of our Lord Jesus Christ. The Bible outlines the situations of the real disaster that will happen to all mankind and its magnitude will be universe-wide.
Unlike The Big One whose effect is just confined to certain regional situation. The Real Big One will affect everyone and all living and nonliving things in the universe. It is global and celestial in magnitude.
Here are the eventualities to be learned as far as the Real Big One is concerned:
- This phenomenon has been pronounced by no other than Lord Jesus Christ Himself, which has occurred and still occurring until this time as manifested by strong earthquakes, famine, prevalence of deadly non-curable diseases and frightening sights in the skies, such as asteroids, which could possibly collide with the Earth.
- When this time comes, the second coming of Lord Jesus Christ, the whole universe will perish which will be caused by the fire coming from God.
The right action plan
The advice from the Holy Scriptures is to always be prepared, be alert and vigilant because the Real Big One will come like a theft. No one knows the exact day and time of its occurrence, even the angels in heaven nor Lord Jesus Christ, except the Almighty God.
Members of the Church Of Christ are ready to cope whichever situation comes first, be it “The Big One” or “The Real Big One” –– wherein we will be fetched by no other than our Savior, Lord Jesus Christ.
Don’t worry, be happy––for the Holy City is waiting for all those who will be saved come Judgment Day.